Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Psalm 13 | Gratefulness keeps our hearts close to God

1 How long, O LORD ? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and every day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?

Sounds familiar?

Said similar things like above to God before? When lamenting?

Ever felt like the Lord has forsaken you?



3 Look on me and answer, O LORD my God.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;
4 my enemy will say, "I have overcome him,"
and my foes will rejoice when I fall.

Didn't God promise us in Deuternomoy 31:8 that He will never leave nor forsake us?

Very true. And David (who wrote Psalms) trusted in God's heart completely. He did not stop calling upon the Lord, while recognising that it is the our enemy, Satan, who caused us to be forlorn and sorrowful, not God.


5 But I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
6 I will sing to the LORD,
for he has been good to me.



The 2 reasons for why David could stand firm on Christ and praise and trust God, even in such great anguish and deep sorrow:

1. He rejoiced in his salvation. (v.5b)
David bore in mind that Jesus has won the greatest victory in his life - saving him from death to eternal life. Our salvation is the greatest and only eternal assurance anyone can have! And that alone should give us eternal joy and hope.

2. He remembered God's goodness and faithfulness since he knew Him. (v.6b)
"For He HAS been good to me." Always grateful.



Always give thanks, always be grateful. Remember His mercy, kindness and goodness as you jot down the little and big things He has done for us.


Our GRATITUDE determines our MAGNITUDE!

No comments: