Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Hosanna in the Highest


The past two weekends we had been singing Hillsong United's Hosanna in our youth services.

It is an awesome song, stirring us deep, both its music composition and lyrics. I love it. There was a certain stillness in the air whenever we sang it.

But let me be honest with you, family. For the past two months since I knew this song, there are always certain parts in the bridge which, at times, I did not dare to sing. Some words got choked in my throat, and my voice hung in silence, in fear and trembling.

Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like You have loved me

Break my heart for what breaks Yours
Everything I am for Your kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity

I could imagine Jesus excruciatingly saying the words above to the Father before His road to Calvary.


Do you really dare to ask the Lord to break your heart for what breaks His?


Are you really ready to give up everything of yourself for His kingdom?


A dear brother prepared me gently when I told him I really want to learn to love like Jesus does, "...that is going to be really painful.." I actually had to be reminded (again).


Now I am not asking you to treat this song like one for the saints. But may I call us all not to sing it flippantly. 'Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart' (1 Samuel 16:7b).

It is perfectly fine if we find that we need to walk a journey before we can mean every word with our heart. More importantly is whether we are consistently willing for the Lord to break us bit by bit, more and more, and mould us increasingly into His likeness.

I know the Lord is pleased with me even when I sing the bridge in a small and even trembling voice, so afraid that I do not mean each word. Each time my heart shudders and pains when I sing the word 'break', I give thanks to Jesus that even though I am not fully broken, I am still willing enough for Him to continue doing so...

till I can truly give everything I am for His Kingdom's cause..

... till Hosanna is in the highest.



Are we willing to step out of ourselves into situations whereby we know we can be broken, ie. the 100K Blessings? Hear this:

If my life is broken when given to Jesus, it is because pieces will feed a multitude, while a loaf will satisfy only a little lad. ~ Ruth Stull


Mirabel


No comments: